Thursday, June 14, 2012

Usher keeps it real

So I was kinda obsessed with the Usher/Diplo collaboration "Climax" when it came out.  I think it's the pinnacle of the new dubstep-influenced, minimalist r&b that's been floating around for a couple of years.  When I saw a posting for the performance below, I was curious how Usher would maintain the (very specific) production vibe live ...




I love that Usher's flawed performance (voice cracks, pitch is off sometimes) actually enhances the vulnerability of his delivery.  And the chord changes that have been added create a new depth by shifting how the vocal melodies are framed over the course of the song.  In a very human, real way, he and the band nailed it.  This is a great example of being professional AND being an artist through performance and arrangement. 


No comments: